Persian Fruit and Vegetable Casserole2015-06-09
- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 1:15 h
- Ready In : 1:30 h
This Persian Fruit and Vegetable Casserole is filling and satisfying and packed full of healthy ingredients, including our Persian Spice Mix. Serve with flatbread, typical of the region.
- 2 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 400g white onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 apples, cored and sliced
- 300g aubergine, peeled and sliced
- 200g carrot, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, skinned and sliced
- 500g waxy potatoes, sliced
- 160g dried prunes
- 140g dried apricots
- 1tsp Persian Spice Mix
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- ½ tsp saffron threads, dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp sumac powder
- 50g walnuts quarters and pistachio nuts, dry fried for 2 minutes
- juice of ½ lime
- fresh herbs (coriander, parsley or dill), roughly chopped as a garnish
Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
Heat the ghee or oil in a large ovenproof casserole. Layer the ingredients in the following order: onion, garlic, apple, aubergine, carrot, tomatoes, potatoes, prunes and apricots. Pour the pomegranate molasses and the saffron water over the top and then sprinkle the Persian spice mix, turmeric, salt, pepper and sumac.
Cover and cook in the oven for about 1 hour, until the vegetables are tender. Add a little water if required and then cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle the dry fried nuts and fresh herbs over the casserole and serve.