Black Eyed Pea Salad2014-10-03
- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 55m
Black Eyed Pea Salad is a fresh and spicy recipe that can be eaten on its own as a cool summer snack or warm as an accompaniment to many other dishes.
- 400g dried black eyed peas, soaked overnight
- 4 whole spring onions, cut into 10mm pieces
- 2 green chilies, deseeded and cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ Szechwan pepper, finely ground
- 1½ tsp mustard oil
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 dried chili, cut in half and deseeded
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
Rinse the soaked black eyed peas in fresh water, drain and put into a bowl. Add the onion, green chilies, garlic, ginger and salt. Stir and set aside.
Put the oil into a small frying pan over a low-medium heat and fry the fenugreek and dried chilli until fragrant, 5-10 seconds. Add the turmeric, stir and immediately add the mixture to the bowl of peas and mix together.
Put the contents of the bowl into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 40 minutes until the black eyed peas are tender.
Serve warm or cold.