Baked Chicken with Potatoes and Lima Beans2015-06-15
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 1:30 h
- Ready In : 1:50 h
Baked Chicken with Potatoes and Lima Beans is a recipe based upon the Peruvian dish called Pachamanca, which translates as ‘earthpot’. The meat would be marinated in herbs and a corn beer for several hours and then baked with perhaps white potatoes, sweet potatoes and corn in a pot surrounded by an outdoor oven of hot stones. In this dish I’ve baked everything in a cast iron casserole in an indoor oven and added a dish of lima beans (aka butter beans) with a salsa verde (green sauce).
- 150g dried lima beans (butter beans), soaked overnight in water
- 4 large chicken pieces, skin left on
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried herbs such as thyme, rosemary or oregano
- 4 small corn cobs
- 8 small waxy white potatoes, skin left on
- 2 sweet potatoes, skin left on
- For the Salsa Verde
- small bunch of fresh coriander, stalks retained
- small bunch of fresh mint, stalks discarded
- 4 spring onions, trimmed
- 1-2 green chillies, deseeded
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tomatoes (preferably green)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
Drain the soaked beans and cook in water for 1-1 ½ hours until tender.
Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mk 6.
Mix the oil, vinegar and herbs together in a bowl. Coat the chicken, corn, white potatoes and sweet potatoes in the oil mixture and place them in a casserole dish. Cook in the oven for about 1 hour, until the juices from the chicken pieces run clear and the vegetables are cooked.
Meanwhile, make the salsa verde. Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and process to a slightly runny sauce, or place all of the dry ingredients on a chopping board and chop thoroughly, then place in a bowl with the oil and lime juice and mix well. Season to taste with salt. Serve with the lima beans.